General Scholarship Application
Financial awards are available to Ontario students enrolled full-time in recognized programs at accredited publicly-funded Canadian universities and colleges. Scholarships are funded primarily from corporate donations from the Ontario trucking industry, which is why students are asked to submit an essay that answers a question about the trucking industry as part of the application process. Students can apply for OTA Education Foundation Scholarships for each year of enrollment at a post-secondary institution, as long as all the eligibility requirements continue to be met.
J.O. Goodman, Bud Barr, George P. Ledson, and C.V. Hoar Awards
Students entering their first year of post-secondary study direct from high school at a publicly-funded Canadian university or college are eligible for consideration for additional scholarships:
- J.O. Goodman Scholarship (University)
- George P. Ledson Scholarship (University)
- Bud Barr Scholarship (University
- C.V. Hoar Scholarship (College)
While a separate application is not necessary, there are additional requirements, which are detailed below. Scholarship recipients will be selected by the OTA Education Selection Committee.
Scholarship Award Amounts
Academic success will be the primary criteria for consideration for a general scholarship.
Academic and personal accomplishments, along with contributions to community will be key considerations for the J.O. goodman, Bud Barr, George P. Ledson, and C.V. Hoar scholarships, recipients for which will be awarded by the Foundation’s Scholarship Selection Committee.
Note: Only scholarship winners will be notified. Scholarship funds will be advanced to the recipient’s post-secondary institution and will be credited to the account identified by the student number provided in the online application.
- A resident of Canada
- 25 years of age or younger as of January 1 of the academic year for which the scholarship applies.
- Enrolled on a full-time basis in a public Canadian university or college program that is a minimum of 2 years in length, and that will lead to a diploma or degree.
- The child of at least one parent who works in the Ontario trucking industry.
- Submit your online application by clicking on the link at the bottom of this page. Make sure that you review and understand all of the application requirements that are specified below and in the Overview page of the application before starting.
- You will have to upload an essay of 500 words or less (in .pdf format) that describes the job of your parent (who works at the company that is sponsoring your application). Elaborate on the job-related tasks and/or responsibilities that you think you would like if you held a similar position in the trucking industry.
- You will have to download an Applicant Affiliation with Trucking Industry form, complete it (fillable .pdf), and send it to the company for which one of your parents works for verification and signature.
J.O. Goodman, Bud Barr, George P. Ledson, C.V. Hoar Awards
- You will have to upload a letter (500 words or less) addressed to the OTA Education Foundation Selection Committee that explains why you feel you should be considered for these awards. Describe your academic and personal accomplishments, contributions to community, extra-curricular activities, personal, academic and career goals, and other relevant information.
- You will have to upload a completed Statement of Volunteer/Community Service and Extra-Curricular Activities form.
- You are encouraged to submit one or more reference letters from someone who is not a friend or a relative (Optional).
- Arrange to have an official transcript for your most recent academic year with final (not mid-term) marks, sent (either by mail or email) directly from the issuing institution to the OTA Education Foundation.
OTA Education Foundation
555 Dixon Road
By Email: Email address must contain the URL of the issuing school or school board. Transcripts can be sent to email@example.com.
- Students who are applying for multiple OTA Education Foundation scholarships are permitted to arrange for only one official transcript to be sent to the Foundation. Applicants are asked to indicate that they are applying for other Foundation scholarships in the “Transcript” section of the online application form.
- Download an Applicant Affiliation with Trucking Industry form, complete it (fillable .pdf), and send it to the trucking-related company where one of your parents works. Save the form in .pdf format using the following naming protocol: <<LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_SponsorForm>>. The form must be signed by an authorized representative of the company for which a parent of the applicant works, after which it must be sent by email to the OTA Education Foundation. Complete instructions are included in the form.
NOTE: The same form is used for endowed scholarships that require a company for which the student’s parent works to verify employment. Only one form is required when an student applies for more than one scholarship that requires this information.
- Save your essay (see above for description) in .pdf format using the following naming protocol: <<LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_OTAEF_ESSAY>>. You will have to upload your essay as part of your online application process
J.O. Goodman, Bud Barr, George P. Ledson, and C. V. Hoar Awards
- Save your letter to the Selection Committee (see above for description) in .pdf format using the following naming protocol: <<LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_SelComLetter>>. You will have to upload your letter as part of the online process.
- Download the Statement of Volunteer/Community Service and Extra Curricular Activities form. Complete it and save it in .pdf format using the following naming protocol: <<LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_OTAEF_VOLUNTEER>>
- If you elect to include reference letters (see description above), save them in .pdf format using the following naming protocol: <<LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_OTAEF_REF1; …REF2 >>. If submitting, you will have to upload your reference letter as part of your online application process. If there are more than one, you have to combine them in one zip file.
Add your name to our List of Supporters
Donate now to support our Scholarship Program. The amount we receive in donations each year determines how much we can give out in scholarships to support children of parents who work in the trucking and trucking-related industries.